Demystifying Annual IRA Tax Documents

At the beginning of the new year, you’ll likely receive many forms, account summaries, and charitable receipts to assist in tax preparation. With all these forms, it can be difficult to keep track of which one needs to be submitted and which are primarily for informational purposes. Every year, we receive calls from our clients who want to understand more about the various tax forms they receive from Raymond James and what those tax forms mean. Three of those tax forms are Form 5498, Form 5498-SA, and Form 1099-R. If you’re a Southwestern Investment Group client, you’ll be able to access these forms through your Client Access Account. Today, we’ll demystify those two forms and let you know when you can expect to receive them. 

A Brief Guide to Form 5498

IRS Form 5498 is an informational form that summarizes your IRA contributions over the course of the prior year. It is sent for many types of retirement accounts, including a traditional IRA, a Roth IRA, a SIMPLE IRA, or a SEP IRA. Form 5498 will also report any money that was rolled over or transferred from another account into an IRA. If you claim a deduction for your IRA contributions, you should reference the amounts on Form 5498. The custodian of your IRA is the one responsible for sending you Form 5498. If your IRA custodian is Raymond James, you can expect this form to be sent to you towards the end of February. 

Do I Need to Submit Form 5498?

You are not required to submit Form 5498 with your taxes. It is an informational form that requires no action on your part. If you are in possession of an IRA account but you haven’t made any contributions that year, you will not usually receive a Form 5498. 

What is Form 5498-SA? 

Similar to Form 5498, Form 5498-SA summarizes your annual contributions to a health savings account (HSA). Like Form 5498, you are not required to submit Form 5498-SA. You’ll also receive it around the same time you receive Form 5498 if Raymond James is your account custodian.

What About Form 1099-R? 

If you took a distribution that was greater than ten dollars from an IRA during the year, you will receive a Form 1099-R that summarizes your disbursements. Additionally, if you are over the age of 72 and have a traditional (not Roth) IRA, you will have a required minimum distribution (RMD) from the account. If that’s the case, you will receive a Form 5498 to summarize these distributions. If you’re over 72, you and your IRA custodian should make sure you’re taking a sufficient distribution from an IRA, as you can be penalized by the IRS for not taking the required minimum distribution from the account. Most IRA custodians will establish and disburse the RMD once it is required by the account. 

Southwestern Investment Group Can Help You Prepare For Tax Season

Taking some time to identify what forms you need to gather before you begin the process can help make tax preparation easier. Being aware of your retirement fund investments and disbursements can make it easier for you or your tax preparer to make informed decisions about how to file. If you’d like help getting a sense of your complete financial picture, reach out to an advisor at Southwestern Investment Group to answer your questions. 

Legal Disclaimer

More Articles

  • password-reminder-on-notepad

    Resources at a Glance: Password Managers

    January 15, 2021

    Here are some questions I want you to answer honestly: Do you

    Read More

  • resources-investment-advisors

    4 Ways to Learn The Basics Of Investing

    February 24, 2022

    Do you feel overwhelmed when it comes to learning about investing? If

    Read More

  • african-american-woman-in-shock

    10 Financial Planning Mistakes That’ll Give You Nightmares

    October 28, 2020

    Halloween is upon us, so let’s take a look at the spookiest,

    Read More

< Back to Resources